Keep Your Perfect Smile
Protect the smile you’ve put so much time and energy into by wearing your retainer.
- Wear your retainer at all times, until Dr. Scaffidi instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainer out when eating, and make sure you put it back in its case. (Most appliances are lost in school lunchrooms or restaurants.)
- Clean the retainer well every day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque and eliminates odors. You can use Efferdent or other orthodontic appliance cleaners, but they don’t take the place of brushing.
- When your retainer is not in your mouth, it should ALWAYS be in its case. Pets love to chew on them, and they’re easy to lose
Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to it faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat yours with care. If your retainer gets lost or broken, call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainer, or you believe it needs adjusting, call us. Don’t try to adjust it yourself.
- Always bring your retainer to your appointments.
- Retainer replacements are expensive, but they’ll last for years if you take care of it.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.